Monday, November 16, 2009

Three

It has never ceased to amaze me how NICE my children are when they are ill. Currently one of the members of the Testosterone Palace is home with the dreaded H1N1 trifecta...cough, fever, sore throat. He is grateful, appreciative, QUIET. Of course the other lads are not home from school yet, so the quiet is a numbers thing, too. As a working parent, I was not home this AM when the illness presented itself. Thus, I did not hear the chorus of "faker," "what homework didn't you do?" or "think you'll recover in time to clean the bathroom?? It's your week." Their dad was the lucky one.

It is always the dilemma...how old is old enough to leave them home for the day, checking in frequently, of course. How guilty do I feel that it's not a given that I can be there all the time when this stuff comes up? I always think of the great Dr. Seuss line in "Oh The Places You'll Go". Something along the lines of going forward with tact and remembering life is a balancing act. So true, so true.

While an ill child will always reassure you they will be fine, secretly I think they love it when they are fussed over and made time for...whatever time works for your family and lives. The beauty of it all is how individual it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment